After looking into the artist Thomas Quinn and being inspired by his almost flawless typography I decided to take a shot at doing it myself, here’s my progress throughout the experiment.
The way I planned out how to achieve this was through the use of a projector, paint, illustrator and some creative drive. I first used illustrator to come up with a design that I would be best to use, I used typography but images can be used with this technique also (it just takes more time, effort and skill).
Then I exported the image as a .png so I could use it later for the projection process.
I set up the projector so that it would project the image onto a stack of boxes arranged in a way that looked asymmetrical, the idea here is that you project the image at the height the user should be perceiving the final (for my experiment I placed the projector low so that the image could be seen without looking in an awkward angle but would seem quite distorted from above).
Once the projector is in place the image needs to be traced like a stencil.
A few things I should note about the project, I really did enjoy doing this experiment but I will say that amongst the fact it looks alright as an end product I would change a few things now that I have attempted anamorphic typography.
The first thing I would of changed about the way I accomplished this would be the way I projected the image, the projection was at an extreme angle but it was an observable angle (the image could still be made out because the projection was made with a high pitch angle but hardly any yaw) this resulted in an image that could be made out from the front view without having to stand (or sit) in the position intended to observe the artwork.
The second thing I would change would definitely be time, this experiment was elapsed over the space of 4 hours making almost no room for error.
In comparison to Thomas Quinn’s anamorphic art, my work really lacked the definition he used within his piece mainly due to the fact I had a very small amount of time but also due to the difficulty of painting over a projected image.
Other than those things I would say I’m really happy with the way this turned out, I will definitely try this again taking the problems I encountered into consideration for the next try.